Green Lipped Mussel
New Zealand Green-Lipped Mussels (Perna canaliculus) contain anti-inflammatory components that may benefit joint health via a prostaglandin inhibitor that exerts the anti-inflammatory effect. Researchers report that an extract of New Zealand Green-Lipped Mussel reduced symptoms in dogs with advanced arthritis. It is used for symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
Published Clinical Studiescl top
Green Lipped Mussel Lipids
- The Review of Natural Products by Facts and Comparisons. St. Louis, MO: Wolters Kluwer Co., 1999.
- Miller TE, Dodd J, Ormrod DJ, Geddes R. Anti-inflammatory activity of glycogen extracted from Perna canaliculus (NZ green-lipped mussel). Agents Actions 1993;38 Spec No:C139-42.
- Couch RA, Ormrod DJ, Miller TE, Watkins WB. Anti-inflammatory activity in fractionated extracts of the green-lipped mussel. N Z Med J 1982;95:803-6.
- Larkin JG, Capell HA, Sturrock RD. Seatone in rheumatoid arthritis: a six-month placebo-controlled study. Ann Rheum Dis 1985;44:199-201.
- Miller T, Wu H. In vivo evidence for prostaglandin inhibitory activity in New Zealand green-lipped mussel extract. N Z Med J 1984;97:355-7.
- Mundell EJ. Mussel extract helps arthritic dogs. www.reutershealth.com (Accessed 18 April 2000).